In an increasingly ageing population, it may seem strange that there is no provision, or even research, as to the housing wants and needs of older LGBT people. With this in mind, and with the help of Comic Relief, Stonewall Housing is delighted to announce the appointment of Tina Wathern as LGBT Older Persons Co-ordinator. Tina will be creating and developing a project that will enable older LGBT people to:
- share their positive and negative experiences of current housing, care and support services
- access advice and support to prevent isolation and tackle harassment and abuse
- shape policy and practices on a local, regional and national level
- act as a resource for researchers, providers, policy and decision makers
- enhance their own skills and knowledge through involvement in the management of innovative projects
- confront developers and commissioners with their preferences for housing, care and support services and seek to improve the evidence base of need
- develop best practice guides and charter mark for providers of services which will improve housing, care and support services offered to LGBT people
- influence what services will be developed in the future, e.g. a new cohousing project for older LGBT people or LGBT people of various ages.
Tina says “This is a funded project specifically set up to involve the older LGBT communities in the wider debate on housing for older people. I am extremely excited to be involved in such an innovative, first-of-its-kind project, one that could affect the shape of Housing for years to come.”
The project is initially funded for three years.
For further information contact:
2a Leroy House
436 Essex Road
Telephone: 0207 359 6242
Fax: 0207 359 9419